All the freakin’ bread is stale! Now what? Well, it’s not as bad as you think.
Here’s a small list, plus a recipe, of some comfort food we could make:
Any of these are a total waste of fresh bread (plus, it throws off the texture.) But stale bread… oh yeah,good and stale bread. Perfect!
We must have forgotten about a lot of bread in my childhood because it seems there was an awful lot of this kind of comfort food.
Due to my HyperDrive, yarn ball mood this evening, here is…
10 slices cubed bread
1/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups milk
1 pinch nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 2 quart baking dish or 9”x13” pan.
2. Thoroughly mix the bread cubes, butter, cinnamon and raisins and dump into your baking pan.
3. Beat the tar out of the eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and milk.
4. Dump that all over your bread cubes.
5. Sprinkle with nutmeg and bake for 25ish minutes.
Now, my mom insists there must be raisin, but I say no. Why? Cause I think warm, puffy raisins are creepy. So tough noogies, Mom, about the iron and fiber they add. Your choice, dear reader.
Don’t waste the jug milk. Try nonfat dry milk or evaporated milk. More cost effective, you know.