Back in before my homesteading days, back in the day dreaming phase, I used to reread Anne of Green Gables. Just the book and I relaxed on a blanket, down by the creek in the shade of some ancient tree or another.
Also a fan of the Wonder Works movie, I remember being mortified by the raspberry cordial incident with Anne’s kindred spirit Dianna Barry. Anne not being familiar with raspberry cordial, accidentally serves Dianna Currant Wine or some such beverage. Dianna gets magnificently drunk and Anne is blamed.
All I can remember thinking is, “that would happen to me”
Anyway, on with our recipe. Try this recipe for blackberry cordial. Then enjoy experiencing the Anne of Green Gables series as an adult. No better way to spend a summer day.
1 Quart of blackberry juice ( Crush however many blackberries you need to yield one quart of juice.
1 pound of sugar
1 teaspoon of ground cloves
2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons allspice
1 pint of brandy
1. Crush enough blackberries to yield one quart (4 cups of juice)
2. Combine the berry juice with the sugar in a non reactive ( non aluminum ) saucepan.
3. Tie the spices in a cheesecloth and add the bag to the pan.
4. Bring to a gentle boil and keep gentle boil for 15 minutes.
5. Skim and cover the mixture until it cools.
6. After it is completely cooled, add the brandy.
7. Bottle and seal.
My notes claim it will keep for years. However, there is no mention of waterbath or processing time. So if you have ever made this or know anyone who has, please let us know.
Does it even need to be processed?
Will just cranking the lid on the mason jar be enough?
Please let me know so I can add the details.